Sometimes, the tiniest things can have the biggest impact on your health and well-being. When it comes to the health and safety of your interior home spaces, things you can barely see can be the greatest detriment. Mold and mildew can damage your health and your home, so you should monitor to be proactive. Here are a few tips to reduce mold and mildew in your home.
Invest in a dehumidifier
Both mold and mildew need moisture to grow. Investing in a whole-home dehumidifier, or a unit in the dampest area of your home can help. By reducing the amount of atmospheric moisture, you can prevent the majority of mold and mildew growth. If you've recently had a flood or broken pipe, you also need to consider investing in a dehumidifier until all the excess environmental moisture has been removed. Fans can help by circulating the air and improving rates of evaporation. Opening windows can help, unless it is also humid outside.
Keep your bathroom mildew free
The bathroom is one of the easiest places for mildew to grow. To counteract the wet, perfect growing atmosphere in the bathroom, consider installing an exhaust fan to remove steam as you shower. Additionally, you should hang towels openly to dry; don't crumple them up on the rack or the floor. Take a few moments to wipe down your shower curtain and the walls of your shower stall after everyone has showered for the day. Don't leave all your soaps and shampoos in the shower. Water will cling to them and accumulate underneath, adding to the local humidity level. The drier your shower when not in use, the better.
Treat mildewed fabrics as soon as possible
If you spot mildew on upholstery or linens, take them outside (if possible). Brush off the visible mildew. If you can't take it outside, then you should vacuum it carefully. After cleaning off the mildew, treat the fabric surface with an oxygen bleach, such as Oxy-Clean. If you can put the fabric in the washing machine, do so, and use the recommended amount of the oxygen bleach in the wash.
Wash mold off hard surfaces as soon as possible
You should clean mold and mildew off of walls and hard furniture as soon as you spot it. It's important to note that if you find several pieces of moldy or mildewy furniture in a room, you need to figure out where the moisture is coming from. There could be a leaky window, water seeping through your foundation, or even a cracked pipe. The sooner you correct the cause, the less chance the mold and mildew will spread through your house.
Know when to call the professionals
Mold can cause damage to your health and home if left unchecked. Don't risk the health of your family if mold has already infested your home. If you need help with mold and mildew control in the Pacific Northwest, contact us today!
Featured image courtesy of Pexels.com.